Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Decision to foster again: His name is Turbo...

Ground zero

Wednesday, March 23 2011
It started off like any other day…every other day.  Work, work, work…and on my break I spend time on BBBR’s Facebook page checking out the dogs that need homes, need fosters, need SAVING.  I have to guard my heart as I do this each and every day because it breaks my heart to see the animals suffering because of the stupidity and cruelty of humans.  And there, on their page, is the perfect example of cruelty: TURBO.  A 7-month-old pit bull that has the worse case of Demodetic Mange I have ever seen.  It’s like an awful train wreck…it is painful and sickening to see; yet, I can’t look away.  I scroll down and there is Andretti, a 2-month-old pit bull with demodex as well.  He isn’t in nearly the bad shape that Turbo is in…and he is way cuter.  And it starts, ‘Honey…looooook.”    I’ve been dying to get back in the foster game but haven’t had the time to dedicate to these animals with my full time job.  I also haven’t had the courage to ask for another foster in our house (seeing as we have become more of an adoption agency than a foster family).  Kevin says if it gets desperate we can foster Andretti (Kevin cannot resist the puppies…hence Greta and Gracie). 

I contact Cathleen and she informs me that Andretti already has a foster (figures) but Turbo really needs one.  She also says, ‘It’s a big responsibility though.’  Without checking and letting Kevin know too many details, I agree.  I fill out the forms (again) and agree to a home inspection (again) and tell Cathleen that I need Julie (Bad Behavior Good Dog Consultant) to help me with introductions to the girls.  Aaaand….we’re off!

Thursday, March 24
I’m nervous and excited.  I hope Turbo can come over tonight.  After looking at his photos for hours, I can’t wait to get him out of that shelter and into my arms.  He needs me.

Cathleen re-warns me that Turbo is very weak and cannot play rough.  Hmmm, she must know the reputation my girls have for playing rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment