Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 2: A new "typical" Turbo routine

Saturday, March 26-Day 2
Puppy spirit in the body of an old man
Begin “new typical routine” way too early and tired: Wake, feed 4 dogs, let all dogs play, give Turbo Benadryl again, do normal Saturday stuff, feed Turbo lunch, give Turbo more Benadryl, shower Turbo, dress Turbo in clean clothes, feed all dogs dinner, switch bedding out of Turbo’s crate, start load of towels, bedding, and Turbo shirts, get ready for bed, give Turbo Benadryl and other oral meds, go to bed…and get ready to wake and repeat.

Today, Kaenon and I make homemade dog (and cat) treats…I wish they were brownies, but they smell like dog food, so any ideas I had about licking the bowl are out the window.  In addition to his 3 square meals a day, he gets treats, and supplements, and snacks, and of course, treats.  This boy needs some meat on his bones.  I do some research and start supplementing his diet with sweet potato puree (Vitamin A is good for skin, healing, and fiber) and fish oil (which all my pitties get to help with their coats and dry skin).  I also give him children’s probiotics to counteract the negative effects of the two antibiotics he is taking.

Greta has been pouting about this little guy all day, but he hasn’t seemed to notice.  He’s cuddling with our 9 ½ year old male, Riley, and learning to play tuggie with Gracie.  Tuggie turns into “Growly tuggie” and Turbo has learned to play with other dogs.

I watch him chew his bone out of the corner of my eye, and I see what looks like an old man.  Wrinkled, bald, and red.  He’s a puppy in the body of an old man.  I feel sad for him…and thankful that he has a new beginning.  Despite the chaos and exhaustion, today was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment